Machame Route highlights and route description
- Highly recommended for scenic value
- Great for acclimatization with lots of walk high, sleep low opportunities
- Challenging trek with stunning scenery through 5 diverse climatic zones
- Good opportunity to split pre-summit day climb to leave climbers rested before summiting
- Very popular trail
- Fully catered camping only
- The Machame route is probably the most popular route these days and is also called “the whiskey route”. This route is steeper than the Marangu and Rongai routes and physically more demanding and for that reason better suited for the more determined and fitter climbers (view a map of Machame).